Town of Westport
Incorporated in 1835, the town of Westport was formed from parts of Fairfield, Norwalk and Weston. The town’s early economy was based on farming, with onion farming playing a major role. In these early years, the Saugatuck River served as the farmer’s route to market.
As the new railroad made its way to Westport in 1846, so did many New Yorkers including famous writers, artists and actors. Today, Westport has over 25,700 residents in a 19.9 mile area.
It combines a cosmopolitan atmosphere with seashore and county charm. While the town is known for sophisticated shopping and dining attractions, in recent years, Westport has seen the addition of several corporate office buildings.
Westport is home to one of America’s foremost summer theaters, the Westport Country Playhouse, and town-owned Levitt Pavillion, an outdoor theater for performing arts. Much of the cultural development in Westport is due to the efforts of the Westport & Weston Arts Council.
Compo Beach and Sherwood Island State Park offer town residents coastal recreation along Long Island Sound. Also available are golf and country clubs, tennis courts, marinas, a nature center, and horse & polo club. The popular Westport Public Library has been greatly expanded as well.